1. Ability scores generation method?
2. How are death and dying handled?
0 HP = unconscious, you can take a hit point off for each level you are at that below it. Then you’re dead.
3. What about raising the dead?
It can happen, but the experience is traumatic.
4. How are replacement PCs handled?
They have to get slotted in a natural course of events.
5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
A natural 20 is a critical hit.
7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
It’s considered part of the armor class.
8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
OSR stands for: “Oh S—! Run!”
10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
I’m tough but not overly restrictive. For me, the game is really about resource management and people need to get into that spirit.
13. What’s required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
I don’t do training, and it can happen in the middle of something, but usually doesn’t.
14. What do I get experience for?
Killing monsters, coming up with interesting solutions to problems, solving mysteries, and enduring.
15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Combination – odds go up on location the more careful people tell me they are being.
16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
Yes, and morale is dealt with based on how well the retainers are treated and on alignment. Those who work to establish “the moral high ground” have less and less issues with morale.
17. How do I identify magic items?
Experiment with things and see what happens. High level MUs are better at identifying them, but they need to cast spells to do so.
18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
You can try… They aren’t usually easy to find on the regular open market.
19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
When you are advanced enough as a MU and spend the time and money to do the research.
20. What about splitting the party?
Not a good idea, but I’d allow it if people insisted.